Do you want to develop land? Maybe you have a plot in mind, but you’re still deciding whether or not to purchase it? Claystone Construction believes in building partnerships with other contractors so we can plan and complete projects faster and within budget. We’ve put together a general land development checklist to assist real estate and property developers in Fort Collins make the most informed decisions possible.
You can also find a comprehensive checklist from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) at the bottom of this post.
If you’re ready to break ground, give Claystone Construction a call today! We’ve been servicing the Rocky Mountain Region including Fort Collins for more than 60 years with excavation and reclamation services. We’re ready to build a partnership with you and your sub-contractors to get the job done right.
Land Development Overview
When it comes to land development, there are quite a few factors that influence a real estate or property developer to buy or not to buy a piece of land. Nonetheless, consider the following general questions to consider before purchasing the land.
What are the site opportunities and strengths?
You’ll want to be as objective as possible when answering this question. It’s the first of many, but it helps you determine if you’re going to invest your time or not into a piece of land. Once you start the purchasing process, it can be long and arduous, which could be time spent on a better, more lucrative piece of property.
Here are some general questions to ask about a piece of raw land:
- What’s the reason for interest in this plot of land?
- Which government entities have jurisdiction over property?
- Has the property been surveyed?
- What is the zoning for the property?
- Are there any covenants or easements on the property?
Government Opportunities and Constraints
If you’ve decided to move forward with the piece of land, you’ll want to take note of the governmental processes involved in acquiring, developing, and selling the land. You don’t want to invest in a piece of land and discover there is an overlay district or the timetable for development is slower than your intended timeline.
Here are some general questions to ask about the process:
- What are the development review and approval procedures for this municipality or county?
- What is the current community development plan?
- What is the existing zoning and does it align with community plan?
- Will the municipality enforce inclusionary zoning or similar requirements?
- Are there any protected or historical areas on the land?
Project Financing Plan
It’s important to consider a budget for the entire project. The management of money is just as important, if not more important, than developing the land itself. You’ll want to sit down and pencil out the intended financing and allocation of funds per stage of the development process. Whether this includes partners or not is entirely up to you.
Here are some general financial planning questions to ask:
- What is your cash flow plan?
- What’s the loan to value ratio?
- Is your project financially feasible? How?
- Does the municipality require guarantees?
- Do you have a proven feasibility study?
Site Planning and Purchasing
If you’ve made it through the above phases, you’re probably ready to purchase the land. Confirm the assessment of the land, satisfying involved government entities, and financial plan one more time before purchasing the land, in case you missed something. Otherwise, it’s time to buy!
Here are some general site plan questions to ask:
- Do you have a site plan created?
- Will the site design require a zoning change or variances?
- Does the design need an architectural review?
- What do your conceptual layouts look like?
Construction Process and Sequencing
Congratulations! If you’ve made it this far with your land development project, you’ve purchased and planned it. Now it’s time to actually develop the land.
Below are some general construction sequencing questions to ask:
- Do you have the correct permits pulled?
- Do you have an excavation company?
- Do you have contractors and builders scheduled?
- Do you know which inspections are required?
- What’s your construction process plan?
- Do you have signage and marketing on-site?
Land Development Checklist
If you’re looking for a more in-depth look at the land development process, consider looking at the NAHB’s land development checklist. It’s a comprehensive guide for real estate and property developers to follow and keep their projects moving along.
Claystone Construction: Your Excavation Company in Colorado
As you work your way through the development process, consider the contractors you’re going to hire. How much experience do they have? What kind of track record and reputation do they keep? When you choose Claystone Construction, you’re trusting 60 years of experience in the excavation industry. We are your excavation contractor in Colorado. Give us a call today, and let’s discuss your land development project!